Friday, June 22, 2012

Dogs and Cats.... Living together!!!



from IMDB website....
Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. 
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"? 
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff. 
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly. 
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! 
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... 
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave! 
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! 
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point! 

.... one of my favorite part of Ghostbusters movie, they are trying to get the attention of the Mayor to approve their "help" with the outbreak in the city.

It's like what happens when working with Yoga poses sometimes. They are trying to get your attention. The poses are creating a dharana, focus point, for you to rest your mind on.

This led me to a new and interesting concept I am excited to try out later.

I woke this morning to my cat poking me as he does most mornings. I try to get mad at him and then he rolls around and purrs and is so excited to see me awake, I can't stay mad. He also helps me study by lying on my notecards and books and looking deeply into my eyes conveying that he would like to be petted now, which is always.

He can roll around and get into total relaxation, his bones seeming to turn to butter. But he sees a movement, and BAM- alert, ready to jump into action. Poised and in control of his body.

He is a dumpy, yet agile, fur ball who starts and ends the day with me and has done so for almost ten years now. :)


I visited a friend and her dog was outside the patio glass most of our visit. He performed some stretches on the lawn and also made several attempts to coax her into letting him inside with the classic puppy dog eyes! When her boyfriend came home we had a front stage view of both of their dogs just excited beyond belief at his return. They were without abandon showing their joy to be with him.  

Dogs brings a loyalty and whole heartedness to their focus. They know what they love and want more of it. 

They share our facial recognition software, allowing them to read our faces and emotions and respond.

Which brings me to my conceptual application to posing in yoga. When performing a posture it can be tough to relax, whether its your first time or you are a seasoned yogi.  It can be a task to hold a posture and clear your mind. Over time I have been able to reach the meditative quality while doing yoga, tuning into myself. This doesn't happen right away and thinking upon this concept can help you to realize this within yourself.

If I could be more relaxed like my cat, alert and fully present....feeling the fascia release from my structure, seeming to melt like butter with every exhale.  
Also, I would like to have the focus and excitement of the dog energy. The focus to wait patiently and know myself and be ready to give. To have loyalty and love something so much I am beside myself with glee when I see it. To be surprised and fully drop in, extending every bit on every inhale. Thus illustrating  the dynamic of what should be going on inside when doing yoga poses.

Many times when we are new to the practice or expecting the same result from a pose, we are not scanning the body and where it is for us right now. Today your poses will be different. Your body needs something different every day from these exercises.  You may have slept in a kink or slept too much or not at all. Your digestion may be sluggish or its hot or cold outside. Take care to factor in these things when you roll out your mat. 

Also let these things go, imagine the cat laying on the instructions like he will learn through osmosis. :) 
Then reignite your inner puppy and give yourself that extra bit of heart. Stay a little longer at the door knowing your master will return.  Go out for the frisbee one more time, just because you can :P

Dogs and Cats living together! on your mat, in your heart in your head, and maybe in your bed. <3

No comments: